This is a journal of what is happening in my life, things I want to do, places I want to visit or have just visited, new and old experiences/adventures, people I have met and who have made a difference in my life, thoughts, ideas and dreams.
My struggles, disappointments, failures and successes. This is my world, my life and you're welcome to share it.




Saturday, October 16, 2010

Rewind, Reconnect and Reminisce 2

Rewind to early 1980's in Yellowknife. We had met a family who became very good friends of ours. My ex-husband was a teacher up north and we met this family because the father was the new principal in the high school department.

They are the Dumonds. Vince, Sandra, twins Camille and Michelle and Lisa. When we met, we did not even have kids yet. In 1986 we adopted a son from the Phillipines and I was also pregnant at the same time.
I had babysat the girls when they were going to school half day. And once we had the boys, the girls in turn babysat the babies. Our regular sitter was Camille but once in a while the other two would pitch in when she could not make it. There was one time when we were both really sick and Vince and Sandra took the boys until we were feeling a lot better. Jordan, our eldest got a very bad case of allergic reaction to the down pillows and was taken to emergency. They were so caring that we were only told of the incident after the fact.

We were having dinners at each other's homes. In fact, they had a cabin by the lake and gave us key to the place and we had spent a few times in that cabin. How great was that!!!!!

In mid 90's we left Yellowknife and we were still getting in touch but lost touch after a while and then got reconnected, then lost contact again. By this time, they had also left Yellowknife.

When I got divorced, Vince mentioned that I had flourished adjusting to the change and being a single parent. And I had never forgotten that.....it was a good compliment at a time when my life, I thought then was in a turmoil. And I hope now he realizes how that comment made a difference in my life. Though it is a bit late, thanks, Vince.
It was last year when I was not busy one night and started googling. I found Vince in Linked In or in one of those sites and started communicating again. It is so wonderful being in touch with them again especially Sanda who I talk to at least once a week.
Vince is somewhere up in Northern Ontario, Sandra is in Toronto, Camille lives somewhere in Nova Scotia,  Michelle is in Vancouver and Lisa is in Ontario. None of the girls have gotten married yet.

So thanks to modern technology, there is a lot of ways to find people we had met and remember. So now after reconnecting, we are always reminiscing about our life in Yellowknife and also Edmonton. Someday we hope to see each other again. Sandra and I are even planning to go on a holiday together. She was and still to this day continues to be a great and caring friend.

I, unfortunately, do not have recent pictures of the family.Maybe Sandra will send me a picture when she checks this blog.

3 comments:

  1. It's nice to rewind, reconnect and reminisce. I don't remember this family. Did my family already move to Whitehorse when you met them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, they were still in YK. You were all in St Pat's kinder but different classes. So you are the same age as the twins.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Pinkie for your kind report. I am very touched by your thoughtfulness and the clarity of your writing. Lots of wonderful memories came flooding back when I came across your blog. I am retired with Sandra in Toronto.

    ReplyDelete