This is a journal of what is happening in my life, things I want to do, places I want to visit or have just visited, new and old experiences/adventures, people I have met and who have made a difference in my life, thoughts, ideas and dreams.
My struggles, disappointments, failures and successes. This is my world, my life and you're welcome to share it.




Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Gino...third anniversary, a tribute

It was three years ago today when I received a confusing call from my sister. She asked if my niece had called me and I replied no. Then she started to cry and said Gino was in an accident. So we talked and I said I hope he makes it and before I could ask more questions, she said the police were there and she would call back.

After a few minutes, I did not exactly know what really happened and so I called my niece to find out more and she could not talk and let her husband Mike to talk to me. So I asked him if Gino was ok or was he in the hospital and I remember him telling me exactly these words, "No, Tita, he is dead".

The worst news ever! I hang up and cried and cried and still not knowing what happened to him. So finally I called my brother-in-law and got the real story of what happened. And then my sister finally called back and we talked a bit more and realized that Gino died on my dad's birthday. The ironic thing about is, is that my dad died on his father's birthday as well.

It was something I never thought would have happened to our family. His cousins were shocked and all our friends could not believe it.

So young and so much to live for. I know we will never find out why but we have to accept it and hope he is at peace wherever he is.

I am glad that I had the time to really know him when I stayed with him and my sister while I was in Toronto and I am so proud of how good and nice of a person he turned out to be. Having babysat him when he was young, I feel like I had contributed to raising him. I am sad I would not see him having a wife and children. I can laugh about it now but after Alysia got married in the Dominican Republic, I teased him that Las Vegas is a lot closer to me if he was to have a destination wedding. But it wasn't to be.

I had found this picture of him and myself in the front garden of our home in Yellowknife. Sorry but he scanner was not working properly but the picture is still there.

I love you Gino.... here is a song that really brings it home...Gone too soon by Michael Jackon.









1 comment:

  1. I remember that photo of you and Gino. I miss him so much too!

    ReplyDelete