This is a journal of what is happening in my life, things I want to do, places I want to visit or have just visited, new and old experiences/adventures, people I have met and who have made a difference in my life, thoughts, ideas and dreams.
My struggles, disappointments, failures and successes. This is my world, my life and you're welcome to share it.




Thursday, October 27, 2011

L2 Grill.....A dining experience

Tonight, a friend and I went to L2 Grill at West Edmonton Mall to dine. I have received a gift certificate last Christmas and it was going to expire at the end of this month so we decided to use it. I do not know why but most of us at work waited to use the certificates until now. One went last Sunday as hers was for brunch and another staff will go this Saturday.

I have never heard of this place but found out it used to be the old Fantasy Grill which was connected with Fantasyland Hotel.

I do not really do reviews so I will just relate our experience. Before going I went online to find out something about L2 and also to read reviews. It got mixed reviews so it was hard to figure out if it would be an enjoyable experience. Just like any other restaurant/hotel/resort/airline reviews, people have different standards of what a place should and how food should taste like.

The decor is very classy, black and red....the chairs, banquette are in red leather and black tables.

This is our experience. I have read one good review and it says to ask for Wallace, a server/waiter. When we got to the restaurant, just before 6:00 p.m., there was just another couple besides us. And Wallace was the server we had.

From the start he was very attentive, asked if we wanted wine but we declined as I was not in the mood for drinks, so we asked for iced tea instead. I have checked out the menu before and I knew what I was going to order.

Of course there was bread (warm) and 2 kinds of butter for starter.

For apps I had crab tempura, it came very well presented. It is crab legs with tempura batter, homemade kimchi, orange dipping sauce and crispy onions. Very good and yummy. Phyllis had crab cakes with gooseberry relish, remoulade sauce and fried capers. Also great. When we finished the apps, we were served with champagne sorbet (two small scoops each to cleanse the palate).

For entree we both had Atlantic salmon with shitake mushrooms, Yukon gold creme (mashed potatoes, really good) lemoni sauce with broccolli, zuchini and green beans cooked just right.

By then we were full so could not order dessert, but we were serve with 4 white chocolate truffles.
When the bill came, he also gave each of us a small box of milk chocolate with 9 small individual size so that was not expected.

It was a really great dining experience, very pricey but I think worth it. I would go back even without the gift certificate for special occassion. It would be nice to have taken pictures but I do not like taking pictures in restaurant. But you can go online to check it out.

1 comment: