This is a journal of what is happening in my life, things I want to do, places I want to visit or have just visited, new and old experiences/adventures, people I have met and who have made a difference in my life, thoughts, ideas and dreams.
My struggles, disappointments, failures and successes. This is my world, my life and you're welcome to share it.




Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Rewind, Reconnect and Reminisce

It has been a long time since I posted this series and I have an interesting one to post.


Rewind to the early or mid 1980s when this friend arrived in Canada. I believe he came with his mother. His sister and brother and their families were already in Yellowknife. He was introduced to us by his brother who lived in my parents's basement.


We got along well and all through those years we would see each other at birthdays, weddings and funerals or other parties. When I had my youngest son baptized, he stood for the godfather who could not make it to Yellowknife.


When we moved to Edmonton, I only had a few contacts with him but we started emailing and talking on the phone. We had some hearty chuckles and loud laughter brought on by some really funny emails. We also had bets going and I remember one wherein he was so sure he was going to win but unfortunately, I had a stronger feeling of what I was betting and I won and he had to treat me to a dinner at the Keg, my choice as that was part of the bet, wherein I had a nice peppercorn steak dinner and some kind of dessert.


When I tried to do my semi-retirement experiment, we somehow lost touch and he thought that I had settled in Toronto. Just a about two months ago, a cousin got his email address and I sent him a short message and now we are back to chuckling and laughing. I will see him this coming Thanksgiving and we are going for coffee and just do a lot of chatting.


I asked him to check out my blog and two weeks ago he started his own blog. This note to my niece Alysia,
older people do blog and they enjoy it. 


So Ped, it's nice to be reconnected and start to reminisce.

2 comments:

  1. I never said older people couldn't blog, I just don't know too many of them. I think it's great for people - young and old - to start a blog. It's something that everyone can look back to.

    As I was reading this post, I was trying to guess who you were writing about, thankfully you mentioned him at the end of your post. Does this mean that Tito Lito, Tita Christy and Tita Ginny are all Tito Ped's siblings or am I getting families mixed up?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just one correction, when I came here in Canada (and in Yellowknife) Mom was already here in Canada living in Toronto (she came in January 1984). Yes Christy, Lito and Ginny are my siblings.

    ReplyDelete