This is a journal of what is happening in my life, things I want to do, places I want to visit or have just visited, new and old experiences/adventures, people I have met and who have made a difference in my life, thoughts, ideas and dreams.
My struggles, disappointments, failures and successes. This is my world, my life and you're welcome to share it.




Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Weekend experiments.....

As I have said in my previous blog, I was going to try a few recipes this last weekend.  I got enough energy and enthusiasm and started Saturday morning.

I have a whole container of almonds and wanted to do something with it. At first I thought I would do something savory or spicy but felt like doing something sweet. So I tried my first brittle --- almond brittle.  I first roasted the almonds and made my mixture for the brittle.  I had to be fast and measured everything before I started, then I realized I could not find my candy thermometer so I did the dropping the sugar mixture into cold water and made sure it hardened.

It was easy and good recipe except I should have used a bigger pan so the brittle would be a bit thinner than what came out. But all in all the ladies at the office liked it. I even pounded some and put in on top of my vanilla ice cream for dessert that night. And  at work today, I put some on my yogurt.


almond brittle - not too sweet, good recipe I got online


I also had puff pastry and wanted to do something with it and again I made something sweet.  Cinnamon sugar puff sticks.  I really like these.


Cinnamon sugar sticks, goes well with tea or hot chocolate.


I was going to try a new recipe of buttermilk biscuits but I found an old recipe for soft dinner rolls and made that instead.  Just after taking it out of the oven I had it with butter and apricot jam. Comforting combination. I actually had a second one.




Yummy soft dinner rolls


I don't know if I will be doing something this weekend since I will be cooking maybe baking too on Easter weekend. But it all just depends on what mood I will be in. Actually, I wanted to make some empanadas so I can bring it for lunch. 




No comments:

Post a Comment