This is a journal of what is happening in my life, things I want to do, places I want to visit or have just visited, new and old experiences/adventures, people I have met and who have made a difference in my life, thoughts, ideas and dreams.
My struggles, disappointments, failures and successes. This is my world, my life and you're welcome to share it.




Friday, November 5, 2010

Rewind, Reconnect, Reminisce

Rewind back in the early 70's, music from the Stylistics, Tower of Power, Chicago and Ambrosia can be heard on the airwaves. A group of students hanging around close by the Architecture department at Adamson University in Manila.


I was there visiting my sister who was an Architecture student and met Joven. At the same time I was also cross-enrolled and I do not remember if we had been in the same class or just knew each other because ot my sister's group of friends. Then he had this nickname "Cocoy". He used to call me "Egay" and somehow I think it is because of my big eyes and this basketball player. He will have to explain this part.


This was a tight knit group of friends and we went to different activities. We enjoy going to basketball games and we went to movies. Some even went out as couples. It was fun and we cared about each other. Then school year ended and some graduated, some started to work or went to different university. Somehow, we still had connections through the other friends.


Later on, a few had immigrated to Canada or to the US and somehow lost connections with the rest of the group. On one or two occassions, we had a chance to visit home and saw some of them. Then for the longest time, we never heard from each other.


Last year, through all these social media...Linked or facebook, we somehow managed to find each other again. So the reconnection happened and seemed for a while, we were all trying to reconnect and reminisce.


It is such a good feeling to have him back as a friend. Every so often we talk on the phone and just try to remember all kinds of friends and things we did what food we liked back then.


Today, Joven lives in New Jersey with his wife of 37 years. He has 3 sons and 3 grandchildren. He works as a night auditor in one of the hotels in New York City and has been with them for 23 years. Now I know where to stay if and when I somehow will visit the Big Apple. I am hoping he will give me a discount and a tour of the city. How about it Coy? He is still funny. When he calls, he calls me his sleeping pill. He works the night shift and he calls just before he goes to sleep...he says I make him sleepy. He still loves sports as he had been an athlete during our college days.And now I think, he is quite a chef as well.


I hope someday we will all meet again and have a reunion. So "Coy" it was nice to have been reconnected with you and I enjoy the phone calls.


And yes, we were two who went out as a couple. And I am very sorry you were not the first in my Rewind, Reconnect and Reminisce but you are still in the top 3. I hope that is good enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment