This is a journal of what is happening in my life, things I want to do, places I want to visit or have just visited, new and old experiences/adventures, people I have met and who have made a difference in my life, thoughts, ideas and dreams.
My struggles, disappointments, failures and successes. This is my world, my life and you're welcome to share it.




Sunday, April 22, 2012

Johnny Reid....Who?

Yes, that was what my son asked me when I told him I was invited to see a concert. I have not heard of him either until now.

So last Thursday, off we go and drove to Rexall Centre, home of the Oilers, who did not do well this year so was not in the play offs......oops that is another topic.

We parked and went to the lobby and waited 45 minutes for the doors to open. There were cops there who was saying there will be more than 10,000 fans there......I guess 9,999 that would be minus 1, me.
Cops for what...I have not heard of riot like incident in any C&W concert, it is not a rock concert where we have heard all kinds of things happenings. Oh, now I will hear from hard core rock concert goers.

Fans were talking and asking if we had been to any of his concert and I wanted to say, I have not even heard of him.

When the doors opened, there was a lady behind me, a robust lady who was pushing me. And I am sure I did not move my tiny legs but it seemed like I moved up to the door without much effort on my part.
I was apologizing to the ladies in front of me that I am being pushed from behind.

And may I ask why push----when we all have tickets with seat numbers. So finally we got in and got food to eat as we were hungry. Food at Rexall Centre....that would be a blog of itself, just a clue.....nasty and horrendous food.

The opening act was a local lady from Westlock, Alberta. I am sure country fans have heard of her. She had a really good voice.

Then they announced the guy...Johnny Reid. He comes out in red pants, white shoes, black shirt and white blaxer. He started the first few words and screaming and there was one lady behind us who was just shouting and screaming his name. I am thinking this could be the most famous song of his. But what do I know, I have never heard any of his songs. So he moves around to the audience and he has good interaction with them.

I was curious when the band first came out, he has a horn section which was the first I have seen but then again I do not watch C&W concert. So more screaming and then a change of clothes, no just the shoes and blazer...this time black.

He was nice enough to thank his fans for coming out to support him and buying tickets with their hard earned money. He does all kinds of charity work, supporting Stollery which is children's hospital with cancer.

It was a good concert but he does not sound country....more like rock and roll. A good experience but hard way to enjoy when I don't know his songs at all. But that is my fault....I do not listen to country radio station though I know the really big country stars.

And he is from Canada of a Scottish descent. That is even better..



No comments:

Post a Comment