This is a journal of what is happening in my life, things I want to do, places I want to visit or have just visited, new and old experiences/adventures, people I have met and who have made a difference in my life, thoughts, ideas and dreams.
My struggles, disappointments, failures and successes. This is my world, my life and you're welcome to share it.




Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Legacy of an Adopted Child - Part 1

This is the title of a poem given to us by the nuns at the orphanage where we adopted our oldest son. It was printed in a nice paper and the letters were blue. The author is unknown. 

Once there were two women,
Who never knew each other
One you do not remember,
The other you called mother.
Two different lives
Shaped to make yours one.
One became your guiding star,
The other became your sun.
The first gave you life
And the second taught you to live it
The first gave you a need for love,
And the second was there to give it.
One gave you a nationality,
The other gave you a name.
One gave a seed of talent,
The other gave you an aim.
One gave you emotions,
The other calmed your fears.
One saw your first sweet smile,
The other dried your tears.
One gave you up- -
It was all that she could do
The other prayed for a child
And God led her straight to you.
And now you ask me
Through your tears,
The old age question 
Through the years:
Heredity or environment
Which are you a product of?
Neither, my darling--neither
Just two different kinds of love.

I still have that piece of paper in mint condition and I have given a copy to my son when I believed he could understand the meaning of the poem and might help him deal with his adoption.

Breast-Feeding, Motherhood, Mother



No comments:

Post a Comment